Monday, February 20, 2012

The Beginning

I was recently diagnosed with Fructose Malabsorption. I have been dealing with a multitude of symptoms over the past 3 months and have gone from family doctor to allergist to family doctor to gastroenterologist. I 've read a lot of people are misdiagnosed for years and I have so much respect for them I can't imagine dealing with it for years. The last 3 months have been hell for me. Not only have I suffered from intestinal distress, there have been days that I felt nauseated all day and it took all my concentration to not vomit. I had to work up the energy to study, I was so fatigued I just wanted to sleep all day. I was in a funk. A bad funk.

I was so happy to finally figure out what was wrong but I was so mad that I cried. I didn't want to deal with having fructose malabsorption - needing to read labels and be on a strict diet. After a couple hours of being melodramatic I decided to live like there was no tomorrow and eat all the sweet and sugary things I could. Until the paperwork came in the mail that had dietary guidelines I had the mentality of "diet starts tomorrow" (which was great until I payed for it the next day).  I have been on a very-low/fructose free diet for 3 days and I already feel better! Woohoo!

I even risked it a little last night when Andrew and I went to Red Robin to watch the Oregon game (my family doesn't have cable at home). I ordered a mushroom burger without the bun and hoped that I would be okay with the garlic and butter they sauté the mushrooms in. I didn't see any garlic in the mushrooms and I've read that it's okay as a seasoning as long as it's removed before consumption. So far so good!
I've been taking a probiotic recommended by the gastroenterologist called Align that helps maintain intestinal health and balance, definitely need that! My intestines need to get healthy again so that I can be healthy again.

No comments:

Post a Comment